Skip directly to: Main page content
UC Davis Centennial
100 years of service, solutions, impact

Looking Back

UC Davis historical timeline

1920s

1922

A four-year degree program is established. Claude B. Hutchison becomes director of the Davis campus, which is renamed the Northern Branch of the College of Agriculture.

1923

William W. Campbell, an astronomer and director of the Lick Observatory, takes office as president of the university, succeeding David P. Barrows.

1925

Walter L. Howard becomes director of the Davis campus.

1926

An agricultural engineering program is established as a major in Berkeley's College of Engineering, with courses offered at the Davis campus. An agricultural engineering building (Walker Hall) is completed.

1928

1928 Celeste Wright

Celeste Turner Wright, the first Davis humanities instructor with a Ph.D., joins the English faculty. The animal science building, Hart Hall, is completed.

1929

The California Aggie Band is organized.